Is Now the time for Transition Into an Alzheimer’s Care Facility?
If your senior parent or loved one is experiencing symptoms of Alzheimer’s, it is important to consider their daily needs. Accepting the need for additional care can be very emotional for both the family and the senior. They may not recognize how deeply they are being affected by this disease and may be in denial. Your loved one may require the additional care provided by a memory loss facility.
Alzheimer’s is generally accompanied by warning signs. The signs indicate a need for a greater level of daily care. You can take steps to help your parent or loved one maintain their independence as long as possible. However, it is important to provide them with adequate care at each phase of this illness. These early warning signs will assist you in determining if your loved one is adequately caring for themselves and staying healthy.
- Is their appearance clean? An early indication of Alzheimer’s can be a disheveled appearance caused by the neglect of daily bathing, brushing their teeth and basic grooming.
- Take notice of their home. Is the air-conditioning or heat on at inappropriate times? Is the yard cared for or is it overgrown? Scorched pots and pan may indicate that they have been forgotten on the stove with the flame on. Neglected housework can also be a warning sign of a need for additional care.
- Are memory changes causing eyeglasses, paperwork and medical appointments to be misplaced or forgotten?
- Are they having trouble communicating due to forgetting common words and names?
- Are they getting lost on common neighborhood routes or having difficulty following simple instructions or directions?
The warning signs listed above may be indicative of the need to consider care. Disorientation, wandering and impaired judgment can place your loved one at risk. Higher levels of care and assistance are available in the Palm Springs, Palm Desert and Rancho Mirage area through Senior Living Options of the Desert.
Senior Living Options offer a free service to individuals seeking memory care for their loved one. Family advisors are available to assist you in determining the appropriate level of care for your senior parent or loved one. The advisor will assist you in narrowing down the options available and will provide choices that are appropriate. All recommended facilities are local, state licensed, pre-screened and pre-selected. The Senior Living Options advisor will also assist you in scheduling tours of potential facilities and will be available to visit these facilities with you. The transition process is made easier with the professional assistance provided by experts in memory care.
You can experience peace of mind knowing your senior loved one is being cared for adequately, while maintaining their dignity. Alzheimer’s care is essential for individuals experiencing the later stages of this disease. Contact a family advisor today at Senior Living Options of the Desert by calling 1-888-700-4322.